Wednesday, July 23, 2014



Consternation:
 Last year I had began slow change after having some experiences similar to this class.  I was inspired and intimidated seeing what outstanding educator were accomplishing elsewhere and feeling frustrated that no one around me was attempting to change our systems, pedagogy... policy.  While my district is implementing whole sale structural change, it will take a painfully long time to reach me.  In the mean time, I took risks and monopolized laptop carts, asked the kids to use Googledocs and pushed the limits of what my evaluator saw as teaching our curriculum with efficacy. My evaluation suffered and I believe that I was viewed in a negative light.  I'm not actually sure how others see me as suddenly, we have a whole new staff, new principal and our year was pretty contentious.  I do know my evaluators marked me down for not being as in tune with my grade level partners as I could have been. 

1 comment:

  1. HI Seth: This struck me because what you are expressing is a big part of this whole process. Even if we know the technology, and are trying to do what we think is best for our kids, sometimes the feelings that a school community stir in us leave us feeling isolated and even ostracized. I know that I have had some contentious interactions with my administration and have never felt really part of the community coming in from elsewhere, and that does color my experience whether I want it to or not. I think there is value in the evaluation process, but sometimes you need to go with your gut, too, and realize that you may need to just follow your own inner drummer. Sounds like you are a passionate educator and an informed one, so head up. As they say, Stay Calm and Carry On.

    ReplyDelete