Monday, July 21, 2014





http://www.ted.com/talks/sugata_mitra_the_child_driven_education?embed=true

Sugata Mitra is a brilliant thinker who, like many revolutionary-change-thinkers, probably scares some people.  His idea of creating educational change is what some might call radical.  I would argue that he just sees how learning by individuals could be and has drawn a straight line from how things are now to how he sees learning taking place in the future.  Mr. Mitra is coming from a perspective that many people where I am from cannot fully understand.  And that perspective is one of poverty and despair.  You see, Mr. Mitra's ideas are coming from a beautiful perspective that sees huge groups of humans without the means or motivation to fundamentally change their lives for the better through education.  His idea shared in the video is to create these SOLEs so that people without connectivity can be empowered to teach themselves by harnessing the world wide web.  So to people who have never lived without the ability to have access to the world wide web or food or shelter, this idea of his appears wild and radical.  Mr. Mitra is merely applying an idea after observing the power of technology to open learning to anyone and to free humans of our own interferences. 

3 comments:

  1. I thought I remember you saying you've seen his videos previously and liked them. He was a great find for me and I think of the SOLE idea all the time! What if...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, brilliant for me as well. I found Mr. Mitra at the right time in my career as it reminded me to be a teacher that inspires, empowers and then gets out of the way of learners. I'm trying to be a facilitator cheerleader more instead of the authority and deliverer of instruction. Not always the goal of our schools. Sometimes I feel as though I swim against the current.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Powerful tool and ideas. I think his idea of SOLE will help those in poverty and despair, but I am not sure it will help those who already have access to technology and formal education.

    ReplyDelete